11 tips for healthy living when you’re busy
I’m seeing more and more people who want to make healthy, positive changes in their lives but are struggling to find the time. I get you! Our lives can often feel busy, overwhelming and hectic. Sometimes our health is the first thing that goes out the window when your schedule is full of other commitments and responsibilities!
Trust me when I say, it’s possible to still live the healthy life even when you are at your busiest. In fact, prioritising looking after yourself will give you more energy and less stress during these periods of life, when you need it most.
Here are my top tips to help. These are my non-negotiables that I come back to time and time again to stay on track with my health.
- Commit to 1 hour of healthy prep on the weekend. Stock your fridge and pantry with healthy food. The JSHealth App is a great tool for this, with functions such as meal planning, recipes and shopping lists you can use. This really sets you up for a healthy week. You come home and you have the food ready to go to make dinner – as quick and easy as can be! I also like to have my vegetables cut up and ready to go as pre-prepared snacks. I also love making a batch of my Sugar-Free Protein Balls for snacks during the week.
- Make breakfast a priority. Skipping breakfast can lead to a slower metabolism and sugar cravings later in the day, making it difficult for you to stay focused at work. Try a high protein breakfast to keep blood sugar levels balanced like my Protein Power Smoothie or prepare breakfast the night before (Bircher Muesli is a great option).
- One word: leftovers! They are lifesavers, truly. Cook once and eat twice – make extra for dinner and save it for lunch the next day.
- Focus on a healthy night-time routine. Enjoy a nourishing night-time routine at the end of your day. Make sure you switch off from technology at least two hours before you go to bed – this allows your mind and body to relax before sleep.
- Commit to the “JSHealth Stress-Free Zone.” Everyday for 10-20 minutes. Schedule it in like a meeting and give your mind a calming break from the business of the day.
- More rest. Use your weekends to rest. Say no to social arrangements when you need to. Your friends will understand. Use this time to focus on you – take a walk in nature, do a yoga class or anything that recharges your soul. This feels so good and sets you up for a settled week ahead!
- Coffee – we need to talk about it. I know the temptation is there at busy times to increase your caffeine intake – but a caffeine overload can have the opposite effect and set you up for mood swings throughout the day. Limit your coffee to 1x a day, before 10am if possible. Replace with herbal teas, dandelion tea, or an anti-inflammatory turmeric latte.
- Avoid alcohol during the week. Enjoy moderately on the weekends.
- Consider a magnesium supplement under the guidance of a health practitioner. This can assists with stress, constipation, muscle relaxation, sugar cravings and energy.
- Avoid over-exercising. It just places your body under more stress. Healthy living is not about doing everything perfectly, or exercising intensely every single day – it’s about balance and moderation. I recommend enjoying 2 rest or yoga days a week. There’s plenty of great options from slow yoga flows to meditations in the JSHealth App.
- Be kinder to yourself: The all or nothing approach does not work. It’s time to relax. If you don’t eat perfectly – forgive yourself and commit to eating well at the next meal. Don’t throw the towel in and say “I blew it” – the body listens to what you do most of the time, not sometimes. Treat yourself with love, kindness and compassion first and foremost.
Love Jess x